This flourless, crustless tart is rich, moist, sweet and and prepared almost entirely on the stovetop (with the exception of a few minutes spent under the broiler to crisp the top). It is the ideal decadent breakfast, a new twist on the classic coffeecake or last-minute dessert.
- 4 eggs
- ½ to ¾ cup sugar (according to personal taste)
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup ground almonds
- ½ cup cream
- ½ cup sliced almonds, more for garnish
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Powdered sugar, for garnish
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl, combine eggs, sugar, salt, ground almonds, cream, sliced almonds, lemon zest and juice.
- Melt butter in an 8-inch ovenproof skillet over low heat; when foam has subsided, add almond mixture to pan, tilting pan to distribute batter evenly. Continue to cook tart on stovetop until edges just begin to set, then put pan in oven and finish cooking, about 10 to 15 minutes more.
- When tart is done, put it in broiler for about a minute or until just golden on top. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and sliced almonds. Serve.